Next week my eldest child is flying the coop for a week in Canberra. Is it that time already? So fast the passing of the last thirteen years. Could it be that this is the same small babe that walked me past the point of sleep deprivation and led me up the path to crazy love? I'm quietly nervous, having never had my boy so far from my side.
I console myself with breakfast. The small one mixes corn fritter batter and picks rocket flowers to decorate the plate. She says that corn cakes are ugly food but they're delicious on the inside. She's right.
I remind her that it's whats inside that matters.
She agrees but voices her concern for mushrooms. Ugly inside and out says she in a serious voice.
No flowers will help the poor mushroom. :(
Corncakes (for my baby cakes)
1 tin corn kernels
½ red onion chopped
½ small red capsicum
small bunch coriander chopped
1/2 cup SR flour
⅓ cup milk
1lightly beaten egg
1 t curry powder
1 t sweet paprika
salt and pepper to taste
* mix everything until combined.
* heat a small amount of oil over medium heat and place 2 tablespoons of mixture per fritter into pan.
* Wait until edges start to crisp and bubbles appear, then flip.
*cook for two minutes or until centre of fritter feels firm.
* Serve with homemade houmous (recipe in my lunch recipes), rocket leaves and tomato chutney
* Eat outside in the sunshine with your small ones. :)