I love a good condiment. Who doesn't right? But this recipe is going to make us friends. :) This is the one recipe that you'll try and you'll experience that crazy Pow!! moment when your mouth and your brain do some sort of MC Hammer happy dance.
"You're welcome, glad you could come to the party. Pickles are on me"
I'm serious. Next weekend, I want you to go to the farmers market and buy two big fat shiny aubergines and a couple of lemons. Check out your spice rack- add some chilli if you like it hot. Then chase down some nice ripe avocados.
Sweet-talk the bread man and pay way too much for a fat grainy sourdough or better still make your own. Skip home and open this post and get to work.
This recipe makes about three medium jars so sort those out. Boil them in water to make sure they're sterile. You could halve the quantity but then you'd just be devastated when it runs out. Better to double the quantity and give to people you love (or owe lot's of money to, debt cleared!). I like it for breakfast but it's also great on lamb or chicken or lentil patties or ice-cream or sandwiches.
Ok, maybe not dessert.
My son named this recipe. He took one bite and lost his tiny mind. "What is in this???" said he. " It's like a party in my mouth!".
Party on little man.
Who doesn't love a serious breakfast party?
2 large eggplant
2 lemons (zest and juice)
½ cup vege oil
2 T tamarind paste
1 T garam marsala
1 T yellow curry powder
1 T turmeric
1 t hot paprika
1 t ground coriander
1 t mustard powder
1 t powdered ginger
* Cut eggplants into 1cm cubes
* Heat up a big pot and toast your dry spices over medium heat.
* Add oil and lemon zest and then stir in eggplant.
* Cook over low heat with a lid on. Stir every 5 minutes or so, for half and hour.
* Add lemon juice and tamarind and cook for a further 10 minutes.
* Make sure it's all good and soft and jar up. Vacuum seal your jars by placing in a simmering bath for 5 minutes. (water half covering the jars, no higher).
* You can eat one jar right away because the smell of this pickle is similar to the total exhilaration of your first kiss. (You'll see) You're not going to wait. But the rest you need to leave for a week because it gets better.
* If you wish to send me presents I'll understand :)