And then there is the weekend. Slow, lazy mornings, small feet hide under blankets for just a little longer, books are brought to bed. The start of the day calls for a celebratory brunch- no reason other than to pause with gratitude. The coffee machine churns out espresso and chai, hot chocolate for the small one. One by one they surface and I am greeted by their messy hair and warm hugs. Everyday they grow. I'm so happy that I somehow wound up here, amongst this kingdom of riches, right in the midst of my kitchen.
I thought I'd share my beloved's favourite brunch recipe. I'll make sure I put him to work in the yard to wear it off!
Smoked salmon and potato cake with greens.
4 large desiree potatoes
1 small red onion
handful chopped sage
1 T olive oil
1 T ghee
½ cup greek yogurt
1 T chopped chives
pinch salt + glug olive oil
100g smoked salmon
spinach or rocket leaves to serve
* Grate potatoes and squeeze excess moisture out in a clean muslin cloth.
* Heat a little olive oil in a large pan and cook off onion until soft.
* In a mixing bowl, combine potato, cooked onion, sage and a pinch of salt.
* Heat same pan again, with ½ T ghee and ½ T olive oil. When pan is hot, add potato mix and flatten down evenly with a spatula.
* cook over low heat for 8 minutes then flip the whole thing out onto a board (be careful). Put the other half of the ghee and olive oil into pan and cook the other side by sliding cake carefully back into pan. Cook for another 8 mins.
* Mix yogurt, lemon juice, pinch salt and glug of olive oil in a small bowl.
* Arrange spinach leaves on a plate. Flip cake out onto a large board and cut into 8 wedges. Serve two per plate over greens, divide salmon between 4 and top with sauce.
* Serve and send all men out into the yard for a good mornings toil. :)